At the end of this comprehensive course in safe and efficient chainsaw use, participants will know how to effectively handle, maintain and sharpen their chainsaw as well as receive basic felling and limbing technique information under a variety of conditions. They will also know how to identify and deal appropriately with a variety of hazardous conditions associated with professional chainsaw operation.
The four course modules consist of: Chainsaw Sharpening and Maintenance; Safe Chainsaw Handling; Felling and Limbing; and Field Practice.
Moving from the classroom to the woodlot, participants will practise the principles of how to sharpen, maintain and operate a chainsaw competently. Building their skills through supervised practice in actual felling and limbing operations, they will also learn the best way to hold, start and handle a chainsaw.
The course elements, modules and adapted areas of the training and curriculum are useful for safe chainsaw operation training of operators who are not employed in logging. This course does not meet the pre-employment classroom training requirements for the logging industry.
Equipment Required by Participants:
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Forestry headset (CSA-approved hardhat, ear plugs and/or ear muffs, and face screen)
- CSA-approved safety glasses (with side shields)
- Chainsaw gloves/mitts
- Chainsaw pants/chaps
- CSA-approved protective footwear with chainsaw cut protection
- Reflective vest (or similar high-visibility garb)
Chainsaw (ensure chainsaw is purged of fuel for classroom portion)
- Size and type appropriate for the work normally performed
- properly sharpened, maintained and ready to work in full compliance with requirements of applicable legislation, with owner's manual (if possible)
- For field session, participants will require chain oil and mixed gas as per the owner's manual
Sharpening and maintenance tools
Correct size round file with handle
Depth gauge tool
Flat file with handle
Small screwdriver (to fit carburetor adjustment screws)
Chainsaw grease gun, rag
Spark plug gap tool, wire brush, emery paper
Chain owner's manual
Felling aids (wedges, axe/hatchet, felling bar -optional)
Material(s) included with this course:
Currently there are no sessions scheduled for this course. Please contact one of our Customer Care Representatives or call 1-888-730-7821 to inquire about future course openings or to be placed on a wait list for this course.