General considerations for all businesses
On Wednesday, July 15, 2020, from 12:00 to 1:00 pm ET, Workplace Safety North (WSN) hosts its third COVID-19 Conversations free webinar titled “Returning to the Workplace: Legal Considerations for Employers.”
The webinar series is designed to help businesses and communities cope with changes caused by the pandemic. More than 300 people attended the first two webinars and learned from community and business leaders on how to cope with the challenges of the pandemic, including the importance of self-care, mental health, and leadership.
Employers, workers, and community members are invited to participate in the free monthly WSN Feed Your Brain Lunch and Learn webinar series to discuss the most pressing issues we are all facing, and to learn from experts and each other.
Labour relations and employment lawyer addresses questions
At the July 15 webinar, participants have the opportunity to learn from lawyer Brad Smith, a partner at Weilers Law who practices labour relations and employment law. Smith is a status member of the Cree Nation and has a special interest in serving Aboriginal clients. He has also served as Weilers’s Gender Diversity Officer.
“Participants have been kind enough to share their legal questions in advance,” says Smith. “We shaped the presentation into themes that address all of the excellent feedback we received.”
“We’ll talk about general considerations for businesses re-opening as well as legal considerations around health and safety of workers, absenteeism, and work refusals, and we’ll discuss employer and employee responsibilities in the workplace.”
Discussion will speak to such questions as:
- How does an employer make sure their workplace is safe?
- What about employees with underlying health issues?
- How do I deal with employees with children at home and no day care and they cannot return to work?
- Are people working from home covered by WSIB?
- If a worker tests positive for COVID-19, do they have to tell their employer?
- If a worker tests positive and must quarantine, does their employer have to pay them?
- Once a vaccine comes along, can people be forced to get it, or fired if they don’t get it?
- What would constitute a legal work refusal?
- How far do employers need to go to protect employees?
- What are the legal obligations of an employee?
The webinar is hosted by Angele Poitras, WSN Community Engagement Specialist and Certified Psychological Health and Safety Advisor.
About WSN Feed Your Brain Lunch and Learn Series: Once a month in May, June, July and August, the ‘COVID-19 Conversations’ series features a free webinar on issues related to the current global pandemic, including; leadership and workplace culture, mental health and wellbeing, and back-to-work planning.
COVID-19 Resources including news updates, sector-specific information, and pandemic resources for businesses
Contact your local WSN Health and Safety Specialist - For help assessing risk in your workplace and making a plan for prevention