Three companies presented with top provincial award for their sectors
Each year, Workplace Safety North – Ontario’s occupational health and safety expert for forestry, mining, and paper, printing, and converting (PPC) sectors – recognizes provincial workplaces that have a strong safety culture.
Annual Workplace Excellence Awards are given to companies that demonstrate a commitment to the prevention of illness and injury. Of the 23 companies receiving Workplace Excellence Awards this year, the top health and safety performer in each WSN sector – mining, forestry, PPC – qualifies for a President’s Award, which is the highest provincial health and safety honour, and recognizes exceptional commitment to continuous improvement in occupational health and safety. In addition, one Ontario small business is selected for recognition.
At the annual general meeting on September 17, 2014, Candys Ballanger-Michaud, WSN President and CEO, presented four provincial health and safety awards: two to Shuniah Forest Products for the forestry and small business sectors; and one each for Lake Shore Gold, for the mining sector; and Kruger Inc. Packaging, for the paper, printing, and converting sector.
“It’s important to recognize the efforts of workplaces that make health and safety a priority,” said Ballanger-Michaud. “They lead the way and set the tone for their sectors. That’s why these businesses deserve special recognition, for demonstrating their strong commitment to ensuring that every worker goes home safe and healthy each day.
“These award winners are positive role models for Ontario businesses to make workplace health and safety an integral part of every job and every work day,” she notes.
“Congratulations to all winners for your commitment to workplace health and safety,” said Ballanger-Michaud. “I’m honoured to recognize your dedication to workers’ well-being, and to creating and maintaining healthy and safe workplaces – well done!”
President’s Award Winners
Forestry – Shuniah Forest Products, Thunder Bay, ON
Mining – Lake Shore Gold Corp., Timmins, ON
Paper, Printing and Converting – Kruger Inc. Brampton Division, Brampton, ON
Small firms (less than 50 full-time employees) – Shuniah Forest Products, Thunder Bay, ON
Earlier this year, 23 companies received a Workplace Excellence Award, recognizing workplace excellence in health and safety.
Workplace Excellence Award Winners
- Alex MacIntyre & Associates, Kirkland Lake, ON
- AuRico Gold Young - Davidson Mine, Matachewan, ON
- Brinkman & Associates Reforestation Ltd., Ottawa, ON
- Cementation Canada Inc., North Bay, ON
- DMC Mining Services, Richmond Hill, ON
- Domtar, Dryden Mill, Dryden, ON
- Domtar, Espanola, Espanola, ON
- EACOM Timber Corporation, Nairn Centre, ON
- Goldcorp Red Lake Gold Mines, Balmertown, Red Lake, ON
- Haveman Brothers Forestry Services Ltd., Kakabeka Falls, ON
- J.S. Redpath Ltd., North Bay, ON
- K+S Windsor Salt Ltd., Windsor, ON
- KGHM International, Lively, ON
- Kidd Operations, A Glencore Company, Timmins, ON
- Kirkland Lake Gold Inc., Kirkland Lake, ON
- Kruger Inc. Brampton Division, Brampton, ON
- Lake Shore Gold Corp., Timmins, ON
- RW Forestry Inc., Thunder Bay, ON
- SCR Mining and Tunnelling L.P., Sudbury, ON
- Shuniah Forest Products Ltd., Thunder Bay, ON
- Sudbury Integrated Nickel Operations, A Glencore Company, Sudbury, ON
- Technica Mining, Lively, ON
- Wallbridge Mining Company Ltd., Lively, ON
Annual general meeting highlights
Prior to the awards ceremony, WSN conducted its annual general meeting. Bill Shaver, WSN Board Chair, opened the meeting by noting a number of achievements over the past year, including a decrease in injury rates, a highly successful international mine rescue conference with a field trip to Sudbury, as well as the launch of new outreach tools and health and safety services.
He also announced that, through a bylaw amendment, the size of WSN Board of Directors can be increased from nine to 12, to attract specific competencies. The Board is actively recruiting for new members with a background in safety, legal, finance, and human resources.
WSN Workplace Excellence Awards Program website page - includes downloadable Health and Safety Self-Assessment for WSN Workplace Excellence Awards and information guide with frequently asked questions.
Thunder Bay forestry firm wins top provincial health and safety awards
Timmins mine wins top Ontario safety award
Brampton packaging company wins Ontario health and safety award second year in a row
EACOM Nairn Centre earns WSN workplace safety award