WSIB combines Ontario business incentive programs
The Health and Safety Excellence program is a performance-based rewards program from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) that combines the strengths of its previous incentive programs: Safety Groups, Small Business, and Workwell.
This new Excellence program provides Ontario businesses a clear roadmap on how to improve workplace health and safety.
Whether you’re just getting started or want to improve the systems and processes you already have in place, the Excellence program can help you reach your goals.
Participants can earn both financial and non-financial rewards and create safer workplaces.
- Employers can work on one to five health and safety topics in a 12-month period.
- Flexible timelines allow employers to work at their own pace.
- Registration open all year (entry into the Excellence program is on a rolling 12-month basis.)
- Added convenience of a variety of meeting times and methods (virtual and face-to-face)
- Financial and non-financial recognition based on individual participant performance.
- Employers submit program documentation online for WSN prior to WSIB validation.
- Flexible entry points; employers choose where they start in the program, selecting program topics of most relevance to reducing injury for their workplace.
Benefits for businesses
Safer and healthier workplace: Improve your health and safety experience for workers and clients.
Shared knowledge and networking: Gain access to a team of leading health and safety experts and network with peers to help you meet common health and safety challenges.
Access resources: Get exclusive access to WSN member resources.
Leading edge: Participate in a health and safety culture survey to help you build health and safety practices that move you to an advanced standard of excellence.
Save money and time: Earn rebates and lower your premiums while improving morale and productivity.
Peace of mind: Build a well-crafted and functional health and safety program.
Keeping people safe and healthy at work is good for business
How the Excellence program works
- Attend an info session: Understand the program and business case for health and safety.
- Join: Choose an approved provider and contact them to register and complete an assessment and select one to five topics to work on for the year. WSN is an approved multi-sector provider and provided oversight for the former incentive program Northern Ontario Safety Group.
- Develop: Learn and implement safety topic(s) with the support of WSN.
- Demonstrate: Submit evidence of implementation for review by WSN first, then by a WSIB validator.
- Achieve: An improved health and safety program, and receive rebates and recognition.
Financial and non-financial rewards
The Excellence program provides the opportunity to earn rebates and lower premium rates based on the new 2020 Rate Framework.
Additional rewards include an improved health and safety program for participating employer workplaces due to focused attention on building knowledge and implementing plans.
An Excellence program participation badge will be visible on your WSIB webpage when a firm’s action plan is approved by the WSIB (updated quarterly).
Firms will receive additional recognition on their WSIB webpage for each topic and level completed, as well as number of years in the program.
An annual achievement report will be sent to employers from the WSIB to reflect their progress in the program.
How can WSN help?
WSN makes it easier for you to develop and implement health and safety programs. You are provided with everything you need:
Assistance and guidance on the registration process
Expert advice on setting goals for improvement based on your workplace assessment
Professional coaching in the development of your action plan and program completion
Continuous support throughout the program
How to Register
Registration for the 2020 Health and Safety Excellence program year opens on November 6, 2019. To learn more contact, Rose Bédard, Prevention Services Assistant, 705-474-7233 ext 291
- WSN information sheet - please download and print
How to find predictability on Compass v1 (MS PowerPoint)- WSIB Information Sheet