Over the years, Joint Health and Safety Committee members have acquired extensive health and safety knowledge through Joint Health and Safety Committee Certification training. But when they take this knowledge back to their workplace, they sometimes deal with supervisors who are not as extensively trained in health and safety.
This program attempts to bridge that gap by making supervisors aware of their legal duties and responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. It also gives them a sound foundation of health and safety knowledge to deal with the many issues they will face in their work.
Among the topics covered are:
- Duties of employers, supervisors and workers as outlined in the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations
- Right to refuse unsafe work
- Powers of the Ministry of Labour inspector
- Internal Responsibility System
- Due Diligence
- Planned workplace inspections
- Risk assessment
- Hazard control
- Components of an incident investigation
Following the course, health and safety specialists can conduct a follow-up on-site evaluation of the supervisors, focusing on key items requested by the employer.
The WSN Competent Supervisor (OWWCO #14760) course is Director Approved by OWWCO and 1.4 CEUs are awarded to participants that complete the course.
This course is intended for supervisors, lead hands and superintendents but can also include managers, safety representatives, safety coordinators and stewards.
This course is offered through instructor-led live virtual training over half-day sessions via the Zoom meeting platform. Participants will require an active broadband Internet connection (DSL or greater) and a webcam to participate.
To prepare for your upcoming sessions, please test Zoom on the computer you will be using to attend your sessions. Go to ZOOM.US/TEST to make sure this platform works for you.
- A computer or laptop – use your own device to participate fully in the course
- Zoom platform: go to ZOOM.US/TEST on the computer you will use to make sure you can participate
- High speed wi-fi/internet connection
- Microphone and headphones
- A webcam
4 days (4 hour sessions)
Material(s) included with this course:
A computer or laptop, Zoom platform, high-speed wi-fi/internet connection, microphone and headphones, and webcam